Thursday, January 08, 2004

Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming, Just keep Swimming Swimming, Swimming (emails from abroad)

I have already fallen dreadfully behind in my emailing, so yet again it is time to fill you all in. I was in the Metro today waiting for a train, and just thinking how incredibly blest I have been so far in this journey, and I saw a news spot about Britney Spears marriage (and then annulment) Wow! How did I miss an event like that? I am now living without a television, and without a computer, so you all have to keep me updated on stuff like that. I mean, whats more important than that?!

I am now in Madrid, after an 18 hour train journey from Amsterdam. I was extremely blessed during this journey with wonderful people to talk to and two different guides during a quick spell in Paris and later on my virgen voyage on the metro of Spain. I am staying with a friend from the program until tommorrow, when I am required to join the other incoming students at a hostel. But I have been able to accomplish SO much in just the last two days here.

Yesterday my big accomplishment was to buy a telephone. Incoming calls are free, so if you have some extra money you want to drop (or can figure out how to make international calls from campus phones..hehe) feel free to call me. The number is 34-660-XXX-XXX. I am so proud that I have already memorized the number. (Hard to believe for my friends who have referred to my memory as that of a fish).

My second goal was to find an appointment to stay in more the rest of the semester. Honestly, if there was one thing that I was stressing out about in my voyage here, it was this task. I spent all of yesterday looking at different places, exploring and making appointments. I had to consider how much, what part of town, was it with a family or a shared flat or a seperate apartment... a lot of things to consider on my second day in Madrid. And after looking at more than 10 places and situations, I found one that I consider pretty ideal. It is in an INCREDIBLE part of the city, is very bright, and my friend Julia is very jealous of the balcony overlooking the street. This was SUCH an incredible God send, and I feel so incredible having a pair of keys in my pocket, and a place to call my own.

My third goal was equally important, as my sister well knows, and that was to find a pair of fashionable, euopean-style pin-striped pants. This was no small task in the U.S., but with the help of the Holy Spirit (its okay to invoke Grace in your shopping adventures, isnt it?) I found a Zara that was 5 stories tall. My friends from Venezuela know just how cool that is for me. I love love love this store! And it happens to be about a block away from my apartment. Job opportunity maybe??? Anyway, I found a very cool pair of pants on sale! What more can a boy ask for?

I am also so pleased to be using my Spanish, which seemed to spring right back to where it was in Venezuela after only a couple hours. That feels great.

Okay folks, keep me in your prayers, because it is certainly working so far. I miss you all,

Yours,Christian

No comments: