Thursday, March 25, 2004

Buleria Buleria (emails from abroad)

Hey all!!

It is I once again, sending a message that is hopefully a bit more upbeat than my last update. Life here has been progressively been returning to normal, thank God, and I am back to enjoying my time here whole-heartedly.

After three days of mourning that was both profound and intense, we all had to go back to our mid-terms, which I finished up today. With only 4 subjects, one would think that I would be able to really focus on what I have. (is anyone else laughing yet?) Let's just say that I am getting a "cultural education" more than anything else though. I'm just glad that I have a Dad (and a scholarship advisor) that lets me get away with that. :-)

Last week was a bit of a doosy, in that the Tribune quoted me out of context, and I had to put out some major fires because of that. Damn. Then I went to go talk to a local priest, and he started to say some really vile things about gay people and such, and I couldnt stand up to him, so I was in a very anti-church mood for about a week. But yesterday I got an email from my Spiritual Director that put everything in perspective. "He's an idiot. Dont listen to him." Something sooo simple really worked to make me feel worlds better.

Last weekend our program took us on a divinely timed trip down south to the magical city of Granada. There we saw the burial sites of the Catholic Kings, Ferdinand and Isabella, and the Alhambra, led by the quirky, faux-fur (aka carpet) wearing local guide Carmen. Then we went to a site to watch Flamenco. The mini-bus ride there was led by an Argentinean who terrified all of us ripping around the ancient Muslim streets. It was actually quite entertaining to see my life wiz by my eyes so quickly: I’ve had a fun life!

The actual Flamenco took place in a narrow cave, with the spectators lining the walls, and the dancers in the center, literally inches away from our tender tootsies with their hard-wood heels. The best part was a woman had to be 70 years old who got up and "got her Flamenco-groove on" (in the words of a friend)

I have been a slug the last couple days, preparing (hah) for my last exam and visiting the Royal Palace (cool weapons collection) and getting ready for my big travelling stint this weekend. I feel as though I am saying goodbye to many of my Spanish friends because tonight is the last night I am going to see them in three weeks! Wow. It may be hard to leave this place.

Tomorrow, I meet up with Dad and Carey in Paris. I cannot describe how stoked I am to see them. I recently re-cut the mohawk, so you'll all have to ask them what they thought. After a few days hopping around Paris (Carey wants me to teach her to dance... we're gonna have a blast! two lanky white Eichenlaubs in Paris) we are going to London for a couple days. After that, they fly back home, and the 4th I fly to Italy to spend Holy Week there with some girlfriends. All in all, I wont be back in Madrid until April 13th. Im sure I'll have much to write about then.

I simply cannot believe that I am this far through this experience. While I long for my family and friends back home, and the University I love, I am going to relish every moment left of this time. Looking toward home, I am currently running for President of the Gay Straight Alliance. How, you ask? Through wonderful supportive friends. I am also thinking about applying to be a columnist next year for the Tribune, the school paper. I have all my classes figured out, and so I guess I am ready now for my Senior year. (very scary)

So, I guess that is it for now,
As I will be travelling, I will not be able to check my email for a good amount of time. I will be in contact when I get back.

Blessings,
Christian

"And if I was perfect, I wouldnt need mercy, I wouldnt need God. When will I learn to accept my mistakes? When will I learn to accept your grace?" Jars of Clay

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!