Tuesday, March 09, 2004

The rules of traveling and such (emails from abroad

Here I am, reporting in again! I have had a phenomenal couple of weeks, and have much to write. (I will try not to make it as long as the last one however)

First off, major claps to my little sis, Carey. I have to brag big-time… This girl is so unbelievable! Not only does she kick so much butt in her classes that she rarely needs to go anymore, and is a social mover/shaker at school, but she walked away from the ACTs (having only finished about 3/4 of the test) with a 30!! For those of you away from academia, that is a pretty damn good score, especially for the first time. Watch out colleges, you’re gonna have to fight for this one!

Not far from the academic scene himself (actually more immersed than any I know) my father is still teaching, and finishing up a Masters program in Education Technology. Believe me, he is working harder than I am right now, fo sho.

As for me, I just got over what the doctor described as an “indeterminate lung infection.” Not much fun, but nothing a little antibiotics couldn’t handle. (that’s a literal translation: penicillina—little penicillin) So, as I am starting to get over this sickness, do I lay low? Ha! You all know me better than that! I decide, no, not to go to a warm Spanish coast, but up into the snowy Sierras (mountains) with my boyfriend. It started off as quite an adventure in a house that had no heat. No prob, we’ll build a fire. But then we discovered there was no water… Okay, we can survive that… Then about midnight, the electricity went out. But I just kept evoking my Boy Scout spirit, and we actually enjoyed ourselves quite a bit (can you believe this guy had never seen snow falling?)

When I got back that night I went with a group of friends to Palacio Galviria, an old Bourbon Palace which has been converted into a disco. Copies of all the original artwork had been put in, and this spot was just amazing! With free entrance passes (it pays to know people) we all had a blast on a late Sunday night.

Last week was pretty uneventful, except that we are all starting to look at mid-terms (I actually started to do some reading!!) which begin this week. I also found an AIDS prevention group that distributes condoms around the bars, and so I am trying to see if I can get involved. Then Friday I stayed out until 7:30 in the morning at COOL, a simply amazing disco with three floors, and unreal lights and music.

The next day, I left for Salamanca with my boy. It is a fascinating city, with incredible history, a lucky frog, and lots of bones of dead saints (a little creepy??). Its main claim to fame is that it has the oldest university in Europe (1240). I must make a confession though. I broke the first (few) rules of traveling:
1) I left Dorey (and my camera) at home. Duh!
2) I went on this trip with shoes I had bought the day before and had stayed out all night before. My feet were KILLING me by noon on Saturday. At least they weren’t heels I suppose. :-)

But now I find myself back in Madrid, actually looking forward to the academic challenge that will be the next couple weeks, then a paid trip to Granada and a RealMadrid soccer game. Fun times.

On a semi-political note, I am attaching a comic that I think is funny, ignore it if you like. Here is also a website for a great photo commentary (pure sentimentalism to be sure) about the San Fran weddings… www.ephemera.org/justly (check out the flash movie... and thanks to the absolute WONDER of a girl who made my day sending this too me)

That’s all from my end for now, Miss ya’ll

Christian

P.S. There are fotos up now if you want to check them out... new ones coming soon too(http://members17.clubphoto.com/christian810649/owner-4f86-1.phtml)

“The only time we waste, are the moments we think we are only.” The Five People You Meet in Heaven

No comments: