Sunday, October 01, 2006

Election Fun

Its not making much news right now, but the new polls may prove me wrong in my previous post reacting to the NYT story about Democratic strategy.

If the election was held today, the Dems would gain 3 or 4 seats (we need 6 for a majority) with two states in a very close toss-up. The delightful thing is that the toss-up states are far from those you might expect: Tennessee and Missouri, classic Republican strongholds. The only seat that the Dems look to lose is New Jersey, and that race is within 2pts. Also, it's pleasant to see the vile Santorum down by a full 13 points in Pennsylvania. Good Lord, I will weep the day that man is pushed out of office. For joy.

As far as the House, the national polling is even, with 48% on each side saying they would vote either Red or Blue. There is at least one Florida seat that I am fairly certain the Dems are going to win. What a hypocritical jerk. I feel like I should have sympathy for the pathetic state of his life, but then again... I dont.

As for Minnesota, both the 2nd and the 6th seem to be polling Red by about 9pts. Both House seats were Red last election, so there is really nothing lost, but given Bachmann's serial idiocy, and the dress she was seen in at my law school last week, her victory would be rather unfortunate. Do you really want your Congressperson to dress so tragically? You can tell she definitely doesnt have any gay friends... They wouldnt let her leave the house looking like that.

As for governors, a lot of Red states look likely to elect Blue executives (Co, Ark, Oh, Pa), and it is good to see that my homes states are at least looking hopeful: Hatch is anywhere between 2pts up to 4 pts down against incumbent "If I cant eat it, Im not paying for it" Pawlenty. Dem Jim Doyle is up by anywhere between 3-9% in my favorite drinking state, and Granholm is between 2-8pts up in Michigan. That last one looks tight, and will effect my family (read: father) more than any other race. I'll send good karma that way.

No comments: