Saturday, October 07, 2006

How Republicans made me sick

I had a wonderful day yesterday, ending up with me going to my school's Diversity Potluck (the gay org brought rainbow Jello). For the second year in a row, I was delightfully surprised by how much I enjoyed being around other people who realized the necessity for increased diversity of all types. At one point, a named-partner from one of the local firms talked about how diverse his office has become, and I went, "Wow. I could work there." That, from me who has avidly sworn off firm life.

Well, among the many diverse foods at the potluck, the Republicans brought McDonald's cheeseburgers. Classic. Way to show your diversity.

Anyway, I was hungry, and had a little bit of everything, and did indeed eat the cheeseburger. It was the only meat I ate, and about 4 hours later, I regreted that decision with every lurch of my stomach. I have not felt that sick in a very very long time.

I think it was my body just rejecting the fruits of the Republican party. (or perhaps it was the really really low-grade meat that the rich feed the poor to increase their profit margins...)

Funny, I went on a few dates with a Republican a couple of weeks back. He was charming, witty, had a great apartment and a pretty good body. But there were some major self-hate issues going on. The final straw was when he refused to kiss me good bye in his car when dropping me off in my uber-gay neighborhood. I have worked for 7 years now to be comfortable with who I am, Im not about to start heading backwards.

Speaking of republicans (or Democrats if you believe Fox news) the internet is all abuzz with the Mark Foley scandal. My only thoughts for the moment are this: I am tired of Americans using alcoholism as an excuse for everything from racism to ephebophilia (being attracted to adolescents). Its truly vexing that a serious social disease is just being cast around as an excuse to get people off the hook.

Secondly, here is where I think sexuality fits in:
"If this has a familiar ring, look in the Catholic Church for the bell. Republican leadership was acting like the Catholic hierarchy, which played shell games with men accused of sexually abusing children. And there's a good reason for the similarity. The inability to deal straightforwardly with gay people leads to other kinds of truth-avoidance when things go south. But that's what comes from not wanting to know something, and going out of your way to remain ignorant." David Link of the Boston Globe

It's time to deal with people as they are. Haven't we learned from our past that telling people that they are "wrong" to be gay only confuses them as to what is truly right and wrong?


Musical Fodder for my Writing:
"You Learn" Alanis Morissette,
MTV Unplugged

No comments: