Friday, December 09, 2005

Exams and Will & Grace moments

It has been a while since I have posted to my blog. I have been busy buying expensive jeans and dvd sets. Oh yeah, and then there’s law school.

I took a break tonight to watch The O.C. which then led me to tape Will & Grace, and then watch CSI… Really didn’t get a tremendous amount done, but since I am not going out to a blue collar karaoke bar tonight, as I did last night, I figure I can get away with a bit of TV. I have my goals set for the night, and I still should be able to get through the work I need to.

It was interesting… Will & Grace had a scene about being scared to be single. Grace said something along the lines of, “The year after Leo and I split up, I gave my key to everyone who held the door open for me. I had to change my locks a lot that year.” It’s hard doing the single thing. It’s hard doing the dating thing after you have left something that was so comfortable beforehand. You do just want to jump right into the middle of the relationship that you just left. And yet, we all know that it is not healthy to think like that.

This is not me whining any longer. I am no longer lamenting my single-hood, but more just contemplating it. I need to air this shit out. Otherwise it pops out at awkward moments, like say on last Sunday’s date. It was actually kinda comical in retrospect: this guy’s eating habits were the opposite of mine, and it reminded me of how much (Mitchell) and I loved to eat together. We just had very much the same tastes. And we were “Fat kids at heart.” Unfortunately, I decided to share all of this with my date. Hmmm. Not good.

I guess my point, and my date’s point come to that, is that I need to be able to look fondly back at those memories without making those feelings of longing. I am happy right now. I am surrounded by some incredible friends, have enough to keep me engaged and focused, and am starting to regain my “sense of single.”

As for everything else in my life, I am keeping things pretty boring. I go out with the Tommies a lot, always have a good time, and try not to spend too much time studying. I am facing three finals in the next nine days. This is the point when everyone is freaking out to study constantly, so I am just trying to avoid the law school. I was within the top ten for the midterms, so I am not going to freak out now. We’ll see what I think about that approach in a couple of weeks.

Tonight my main project is revising my resume for a clerkship with the Public Defender’s Office that is due tomorrow. It’s an interesting exercise in PR, so I am just tweaking things more or less.

No comments: