Tuesday, August 22, 2006

What if 9/11 Never Happened

In catching up on my reading from this last week, I have noticed a number of articles online about what the world would be like if 9/11 had never ocurred. The speculations shouldnt surprise anyone, and I dont care to speculate any further. However, I do wish to write about the overall effect of 9/11.

Perhaps it is people's continued dwelling on the 9/11 attacks that puzzles me. Statements like, "9/11 had 'changed everything'" and that "nothing would ever be the same" simply do not resonate with me. The power of terrorism is in the fear of death. It has driven our country to the brink of madness and back. However, for those who wish to defeat the evil of terrorism, the answer is simple: defeat your own fear. Terrorism becomes powerless in this light.

And yet our country seems more and more enthralled with the power of fear (thanks Fox News) which only serves to make terrorism all the more powerful in our society.

I do not downplay the tragedy of 9/11 and the lives lost (and that continue to be lost) because of that attack. However, our country has become wrapped up in a religious fervour of self-preservation, forgetting the non-violent message of Christ when the reality, at least for those of us who call ourselves Chrsitians, is that death is not to be feared, but welcomed as the passage to the heavenly thereafter.

I know that it is easy to say we dont fear death, and that when faced with such a prospect, most of us can only cower, but shouldnt our country be working more along the lines of instilling bravery and courage in Americans, statements that "We will overcome beat back this threat of hate with the power of love, charity and grace." Wouldnt that be more successful in the long run at ending the cause of terrorism, while disarming its power over us?

9/11 did not change my world. I simply will not allow that. Perhaps it is my own personally zealous, faithful beliefs, but I suppose if you are going to fight zealots, one must be a bit zealous.

Musical Fodder for my Writing:
"Let You Know" Hoobastank,
Hoobastank

No comments: