Thursday, February 17, 2005

The bluffs

Things have gotten busier. I hardly have time to drink anymore. God. If my father could only hear me now. He worries intensely that I will become an alcoholic like him. And while I have taken to drinking almost every night of the week, it is a social thing, I almost never over imbibe, and it is just a Senior Year thing.

With Valentine's and all, everyone seems to be talking about relationships again. Aack. I am tired of dating. Guys ask me out all the time at work and oftentimes it is not about them, it is just that I dont want to go through the hassle of thinking someone's attractive, then going out, hooking up (maybe), then being dissapointed that they either aren't as intelligent/passionate/driven etc. as I would like them to be or they dont understand what my life is always about. Part of this is that people see me as "the bartender." I am not whining or anything, because this helps me get laid a whole lot more than usual, but people do have this tendency to reduce me to just that job. I am just some cute guy behind the bar. Whatever, I can deal, but it makes me long for someone who REALLY knows me. I come back to what I've wanted for years: a friendship. It is the model of relationships that I really think is most likely to work out, it is the model that my father and mother taught me: be friends first let love come at its own pace. I thought I had that with (George) but he really had hi own issues to take care of. That was one of the reasons that I was SO hopeful for our relationship, is because it was all about friendship. I guess that the moral here is that I need to keep working on my friendships, gay and straight alike, to give this dream a chance. Am I waiting to make friends with some really hot guy in law school who will turn out to be gay? Maybe. But I guess the focus will be on making friends with whomever I can and waiting to see.

(Julie) got rejected by Marquette Law. This surprises me to no end. I wish that I could march into some of these offices and just give them an ear-full about what a wonderful candidate she would be. I know few students who work harder, with more passion. It's just that on paper, she is probably not getting any consideration at all. She wrote great essays, but I doubt they are even getting that far. Another friend rom class was telling me about all the rejections he is getting. He is one of the brightest people I know. Perhaps I aimed low, but I really have never been rejected nor expected to be. I got this teeny-tiny envelope from Villanova the other day, and got all excited: Maybe I could finally tell (Julie) that I had been rejected somewhere, so I knew how she felt! (It's twisted, I know, but I already know where I am going.) Anyway, I was dissapointed to find that it was an Open House invite for ADMITTED applicants. I didnt know I had been admitted, so I called and they told me that my letter was just being sent out... Oops.

I had an "I miss my Mommy" moment on Tuesday. I don't know what brought it on, but I think that there are a lot of emotions that I havent been dealing with later, and it is easiest to vent those while focusing on my mother. Dad had sent a broshure/newspaper from the Madeleine Thomas Memorial Ski Tour to show me the art this year, and it had been just sitting on my kitchen table. While talking to (Webster) about girls, I started to leaf through it and found a piece my father had written with my mother's photo on it. It just kind of shocked me. Perhaps it shouldn't have. But from there, I locked myself in the room and ended up Googling every piece I cold find on Mom, just talking about how cool she was. I do miss her. She had become such a good friend to me, as well as one hell of a kick-in-the-pants.

Got to go to a mindless, boring class now. I'll bring a magazine and catch up on my reading.

No comments: