Friday, May 06, 2005

Gold? How the hell am I supposed to be an adjective?

Well, it has certainly been an interesting couple of days. Wednesday would have been completely uneventfull had it not been the name change... The Marquette board of trustees were to decide if we should keep our athletic nickname of the Golden Eagles, or revert it to the one from ten years ago, the Warriors. An announcement was made about this issue which has occupied WAY TOO MUCH of student attention for the last year, and we will now be called the Marquette Gold! ??? What? What the Fuck is that?

Students were extremely upset. It was funny, yesterday I was on facebook, and there are like 30 student groups that hate the nickname. Will and I were actually so pissed off about it that we wrote on t-shirts and went to start a protest. We went through the library, and everyone lovedour shirts (mine read: Gold? WTF) Anyway, we ended up in front of the Union, and people started to join us, and before you know it there must have been a hundred students there shouting and cheering. (granted I think other people sent out emails and blogs to make the protest happen, but we were definitely leading it) Anyway, I ended up climbing the Orgasm statue in front of the union and yelling to the crowd. Totally felt like that scene from Newsies. The crowd kept getting bigger, and somehow a couch got involved, and we ended up marching to the Jes Res, then the Library, then back to the union. It was all a useless gesture, but it at least proves that students are pissed off. We got in all the major news and that was cool. It is amazing though, as one friend pointed out, that students couldnt get mobilized over the war in Iraq, and yet they are willing to protest this. I think mostly that this feels much closer to home. There is another protest today at noon. Right when I am getting my voice back too.

The only other major development in life is that Depaul came back with an offer. A damn good offer. 25+20+20. Leaves only 16 to pay. That kinda blew away St.Thomas with the figures I had, which left me with 30 there. That's a huge difference. Plus a MAJOR factor is Carey being at Loyola of Chicago next year. I dont think that most people understand the connection I have, and need to have, with my sister. To live in the same city with her again would be unbelievably cool. And yet my heart draws me to St. Thomas. I feel like I want a fresh start again. Not for the same reasons as after high school, but more just because I like the opportunities in self-improvement that new communities present. And I have just felt so spiritually attracted to St. Thomas and Minneapolis. I would have to work harder at St.Thomas because they are less established, but the mark I could make would be more profound.

Pray on that. I am going to visit Depaul on Monday. That means my weekend needs to be a little more work intensive, but whatever.

I wonder if Franco will be around tonight? I work all weekend again. First time I will see Bill since I confronted him on Sunday. He isnt good at face to face confrontation, and he didnt call, so I have to presume that he is over it. Guess I will find out tonight... Hopefully my new bar clothes will come in the mail today. Okay, time to get some real things done.

No comments: