Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Today it is St. Thomas. Tomorrow???

Okay, so after talking with Justine today, and getting a phone call from a current student at St. Thomas, I just feel that once again St. Thomas is the right choice. Justine made a good point. My family will continue to be close no matter what my decision. Minneapolis might not offer me the constant contact with my sister, and might be harder for my father, but I already know that I dont want to live in Chicago (at least that is how I feel right now). I shouldnt let the logical factors that push me towards Depaul override the feeling that St. Thomas gives me of just being "right." Justine pointed out that everytime I mention Depaul, my evaluations are half-hearted and luk-warm. She says it isnt the way I raved about St. Thomas after my visits there. She is right. So that's how I feel today.

Woke up about 4am in a stuffier than hell apartment, and started to write my final critical writing piece. 7am came quicker than I anticipated, so I had to cut four of the restaurants I wanted to review. Oh well. It will get me a passing grade at least. Whatever. I am so over all this. When I got home from Depaul last night I went to hegarty's to pick up a package I had delivered there. I ran into Chuck and his friend Dan, and they pretty much forced me to have a beer with them. We ended up drinking there until 9pm when we went to Caffrey's. I just ran upstairs to change out of my clothes which were soaked from the random rain storms that had caught me outside waiting for the bus. Anyway, ended up drinking a ton at Caff's, but still got home about 11pm. Oh, and I am pretty sure I drunk dialed Jamie from this last weekend. I think I dig him. Hope he calls. If he doesnt, I got a nice belt out of the deal. ;-)

The visit to Depaul that day had been good. I had to wake up way too early to catch the train down, and then Aunt Beth took me out for breakfast (really good frittata). We ended up driving downtown with Uncle Matt, and Aunt B and I walked ALL over getting some stuff done for her, and trying to see the campus housing and everything. Finally, at 2pm, I had my appointment with Dean Burns. A couple of thoughts: everyone I met at Depaul was Jewish... I talked to a group of students, Burns himself, and he mentioned that "like 95% of the prof" were. Wow... So much for the catholic school. He had a really hard time talking to me about the spiritual aspect of their education. In fact, he almost couldnt do it. The school itself is, well, dingy. Everything could use a paint job, the elevators are from the 60s, as are the classrooms. It doesnt sell itself with anything distinctive, other than a wall of judge-graduates, but that is hardly memorable, just impressive. But I have never been one to be impressed by "impressive": I am impressed by culture, art, diversity. And windows. I am impressed by windows. Depaul's classrooms don't have them.

Now granted, I guess that they are starting to renovate all these things. And if I went to Depaul, I could easily create a checklist of things to improve to attract higher level students (including re-training the dean). But the fact that those sort of things are not a priority now... I just dont know. On the other hand, their median LSAT for this incoming class (mine) is a 160... That's f'in impressive.

As for today, after I handed in a semi-incomplete final project, I watched a healthy bit of television, then got Jerry (the maitenance guy) to remove the sealer on the windows so that we could open them. And not a moment too soon, I was suffocating in here. Then went to a health services appointment about the worsening itching I got. After that, Margaritas and BBQ with Christina and Nora at Christina's so we could study (ha!) for our PR final. Mostly we sat around and talked about how much we didnt care. I love chilling with those two. Then back here, naptime, and now I am going to go out with Will to Mel's. I have set my alarm for tomorrow, so at least I will show up to my 8am exam. Whatever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey darlin,

an itch, eh? want me to look at it? nurse kiley to the rescue!

p.s. it was the best dead mother's day ever, thanks to you!