Wednesday, January 18, 2006

How I Roll

I had my first real Property class this morning. I think we were all expecting the professor to come in breathing fire or something, but she really was not that bad and, if anything rather engaging. Here's the thing: she's the enemy. There, I said it. If we were fighting a war for equal rights for gays, she would be the enemy. It is the same conclusion I came too a little over a year ago about the Catholic Church. Just cause they are nice to your face, doesnt mean that they aren't the same people to take away your rights.

For one of our readings today there was a statement by the Pope on the necessity of stable M+W married families. Grrrr... We also had to read the creation story in Genesis. I had heard so much about this particular professor's anti-gay rights stances that I have been continually preparing myself to go to battle. I didnt sleep well last night because of it. But when all is said and done, the readings she assigned were actually quite applicable, if not intriguing. In retrospect, I wish I had read them more openly as opposed to trying to "arm" myself against them.

To my credit however, once I felt taht she wasnt going to be constantly antagonizing me, I released some of my built up rage toward her, and actually enjoyed her class. I guess there is something to be said for the fact that I still went in with a (semi) open mind and then just let go of the bad attitude I had.

A similar thing happened with my tailor.

I had taken a few shirts in to have them taken in (odd verbage there) and had to make an appointment to try them on. First of all, it is off to have to make an appointment with a tailor. Well, I had to reschedule once, then missed that appointment, and so called yesterday apologizing. The guy started flipping out at me. WHAT? I know that I was rude, but I apologized. Is my TAILOR seriously yelling at me? It got me so steamed that today I went in armed with all sorts of things to say to defend myself and go to battle. In the end, I lost track of time and even went to today's appointment late. Ooops. Anyway, once I got there, he was apologetic for yelling at me, I was apologetic for being late, and everything was okay... But once again, I was armed and ready to go, but then just let it ride.

I know that there are probably less emotionally-taxing ways of dealing with these things, but I guess this is just how I operate. Perhaps this could be a learning moment.

No comments: