Friday, May 12, 2006

"You're so drama"

I went out to one of my favorite bars on Tuesday to celebrate our last Bar Review and the fact that we had all made it through finals. Yeehaaw! Anyway, I danced it up and had a blast, but a friend said something that bothered me. I hadnt seen her in a while cause I have kinda cut ties with her group for my own reasons. But it was good to see her, and we started to chat outside for a little bit. At one point I was apologizing for falling off the face of the planet, but alluded to the fact that I had a falling out with her sister. She then looks at me and says, "Well Christian, you are a lot of drama" as if that should help me to understand the whole thing...

I have been told a few times (always by straight people with very little "gay" in their lives) that i am "drama." Ive decided that this pisses me off. While this might lead one to the conclusion that I am INDEED drama, I am fairly confident that I am not. I am very chill, go with the flow, and generally get along with everyone. My friend's have always credited me with "telling it like it is." So why would I be labeled "drama?" This girl's rationale, "You often walk into a room with a 'You'll never guess what happened to me the other night...' thing going on." Funny, I didnt think that was drama, just good storytelling.

What this tells me is one of two things. Either a) she doesnt want to hear my stories, which I thought were generally enjoyable or, b) she doesnt mean "drama" she means "gay."

I wonder if she looks at any of her other male friends and calls them "drama." I can think of a few who are reasonably much more drama than I could ever be. I try not to jump to conclusions, but it really feels like an attack on who I am rather than what I do. Whether that's me "being drama" or just being gay, Im not sure, but I hate it either way. It's like looking at a black man and calling him "gangsta." It's an offhand comment based on some stereotype you hold about people. Seriously, after that short interaction I have no interest in talking to this person again any time soon. Perhaps that's drama, or perhaps that's just self-respect.

I recently ended my therapy at the school. One of the major focuses was that I was bottling up stuff that I felt like I didnt want to burden my friends with. This girl sheds a little light on why I might have felt I needed to.
*****************************************************

As for the end of finals, it has been magnificent to get my life back. I have spent the last few days catching up with friends, doing major spring cleaning, doing some dating, and recovering from a dancing related injury. I went out dancing with Anthony on Wednesday at the Townhouse, had a blast, saw a lot of really hot guys, danced a bunch, and was home by 1:30 relatively sober. It was a good time. Yesterday morning I woke up, barely able to move. My lower back was SO sore. I must have hurt it doing something... Hmmm... Signs Im getting old for 100 Alex.

My last exam, Con Law, ended up pretty well I think. There were three essays and I felt prepared in answering all of them. The last of the essays was on the Constitutional arguments of "Don't ask, Don't tell," which is kinda a specialty of mine. Of all the "gay" issues, this is the one I am knowledgeable about. So it was nice to just be able to turn on the auto-pilot for that segment and know that I was going far above the Profs expectations on that one.

So now life continues. Home tomorrow for a little over a week. It'll be great to see the family. Then a week off before work starts. Im starting to date a bit which feels good. Life is good. I made it through the hardest year of the hardest part of my education. Sweet!