Thursday, July 20, 2006

Home and Abroad

Well, Im not completely sure Im sober at work today. On one hand I think that I might be, on the other, well, my head is pretty foggy.

I walked into work and my supervisor wanted to have a chat. "You're just doing so phenomenally...We are so happy about how engaged you, in particular, are." I was just hoping I didnt have beer breath. (On a side note, I had my performance review yesterday and have been getting rave reviews from the attorneys I have worked for... I think I have decided that I wont stay on for the school year, but will definitely come back for the summer... I got onto Law Journal and actually think I may do it, as much as it seems like a bad idea).

I went out last night, meeting up with someone who is quickly becoming an "old friend": I feel like he and I just have a great bond, and our friendship is very fun. We started out with a few drinks at the 19 and then a couple of friends joined us and we went to the Townhouse from there. There was this guy... (that's how most of my stories start I suppose) ... He's cute, successful, nice, good sense of humor... We'll see what happens there. I (let) him drive me home in his super fun car. Nothing happened. Geez, you guys! I dont always put out when I first meet someone!

Last night I tried to make a viable attempt at being a good friend to my buddies abroad. Ryan just arrived in Kuwait, where he is stationed for awhile before being taken into Iraq. I wanted to send him something nice. And I bought a phone card to be able to call Will in Mongolia. These guys are important to me, and in the midst of everything else that goes on in my life, I need to remember them.

So there is this Guy... actually that's his name. He was absolutely essential to me while I was coming out. I remember driving through a thunderstorm to his house late at night after I got kicked out of my youth group and didnt want to face my father with the shame they had made me feel. He taught me many lessons in the early days of my "gayhood." But for some reason I felt that I had outgrown our relationship: perhaps I wanted to leave behind those reminders of how weak I have been in the past through coming out and dealing with my mother's death. Anyway, through the wonders of blogging, I have been able to somewhat restore our relationship. I am able to get a quick eye into his (much changed) life, and he mine. It is amazing to rekindle that connection. I am hearing about people who I have long since left behind, and this of course tugs at my heart strings. Theater folk. TC folk. It seems like it was another life.

Okay, I need to get to work, as I have an upcoming deadline and two trials next week. Oh, and I have organized a staff trip to Hooters today. Hopefully I'll sober up by that point...


Musical Fodder for my Writing:
"Someone to Believe" The Normals, Better Than This

No comments: