Monday, March 07, 2005

Buy a house??!!??

thats a lame title. Oh well, that's about the only way to sum up these last few days. After (Webster) presented me with a check for his portion of the cruise (which I was planning on paying, we whopped Houston on Wednesday, went drinking with some Moms at Caffreys, then got an insurance check for my bicycle on Thursday... I was having a good week. Friday I had to wake up at 4:30 to catch my flight to Minneapolis. Everything worked out great, and I quickly became re-enchanted with the city that will become my new home. Incredible public transport: for $1.25 I got from the airport on lightrail, then transfered to a bus line to get uptown to look at an apartment.

So... apartments. I found this place on 22nd and Grand that is about 20 minutes away from the university by bus. Its a safe neighborhood, with a library across the street, and the units are awesome, as is the grandmother-type that is the administrator of the place. But here's the thing: rent is WAY higher in Minneapolis. Places closer to the University go for about $600-900 for studios, and about $1200 for two bedrooms. Wow. Even for a studio, I would be paying twice what I am here. The place on 22nd was between 900-1000 for a two bedroom, and that was about the best deal I could find.

I started to think about it... During 3 years of law school, I am going to lose between $18,000 and $25,000. Down the hole. No return. Just money lost. I started talking to some people, and ended up going out with Adam, a bartender from Milwaukee who has moved to Minneapolis and we are considering being roommates, and he introduced me to his friend Dustin. Anyway, Dustin does investment real estate, and he seemed pretty sure that he could get me something around town that would have a 25% return on it in 3 years. Now, maybe he was full of shit, but it is still something to explore. Even if I don't MAKE money on it, I would probably not LOSE the 18-25 that I would renting. I could get a house or condo and rent out the extra room(s).

This is really intimidating for me. I'm 22! I am not sure that I am ready for that kind of monetary and temporal commitment. On the other hand, it would be SUCH an adventure, and it is a good idea from an investment stand point. I take out no-interest student loans for all my college expenses and living stuff, pay off house stuff with the money I have saved and the money from renting out a room... The idea of getting a condo seems smarter too: less maintenence, but it has less improvement (and headache) potential.

So what now? I guess I have some calls to make. I want to talk to Bob Brick to see what advise e would have, and see if he has anyone he trusts in Minneapolis. I want to call this Dustin kid (who I ended up with on an air mattress on Friday night... showed him a real good time) but I am not sure that I trust him with my real estate. Is it unethical to have two realtors looking at options for you?

Anyway, the open house at St. Thomas was substantially boring, only because this was my third time there and I didnt really need the sell line. Just two things: I felt like such a baby! Almost everyone there had taken some-many years off doing real jobs before looking at law school. Wow... I'm finally gonna be the "young one." Not sure how I feel about that. Also: no one goes out! I searched for a while to find current or prospective students to go out with for a beer, and everyone was busy with school work. On a Friday! Good God, is this what my life is going to look like? Yuck... Am I ready for that?

Overall, I guess that a lot of my time there was slapping me in the face and saying, "You are going to have to grow up here pretty quick."

The cheapest hotel room I could find as $111 at the Courtyard. Grrr... But after a much needed nap, I wen out to a fantastic Thai restaurant (Sawatdee) and spent way too much on a fantastic dinner and several glasses of Gwertzameiner. Then Adam came by, and we had a pretty damn good night.

Coming home, I went straight to work, had a good shift although I had NO energy. But I made $80 on a Saturday happy hour, which is extremely rare. I resisted the temptation stay out, and went home thankfully early. In bed soon thereafter.

Yesterday, I went to brunch with (Julie) at Louise's which was splendid. It was about 55 degrees, and sitting in the sun eating salmon benedict and drinking bellinis with my best friend... That was something. Then checked out an art show at UWM for my critical writing class. (Oh... I told that teacher that I thought his class was worthless... but that's for another time) Then home, cleaned like a mad-man. The apartment is SO much more comfortable now. Went shopping with Will, so now I have some meals, which is very nice. Then meetings until 10:45pm when I went out with T.J. to Three. It was fun enough... I got out of there for $20. T.J. and I dont really have that much to talk about, but he is fun to make out with. I was hopeful about him for a little while, but as happens with many boys, it just wasnt working out. I'll just play this one by ear.

OH, one last thing... I am kinda coordinating campaign messages for Alex Hermanny's campaign with April Kusper. April and I are honing their message and making sure that Alex and Beth sound like the absolute best candidates in the field. And ya know what? I am REALLY good at this. Partially because of my multiple personalities, I am able to think about what is being said from about 6 different angles, detach and engage each of them, and react with what is going to work best as a PR message. I am scary good at that. I would love to be "Toby" or "C.J." from the West Wing. Give me a law degree and we'll see where I go from there. Anyway, this is fun. Debate tonight, and I am onthe prep team... I really enjoy this stuff.

Alright, thats enough for now... hasta luego aligator

No comments: