Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Spring Break???

Oh, Dear GOD!! Along with the mid-terms and projects that I have to be working on this week, the campaign I am helping with to elect Alex Hermanny for MUSG President and trying to get some publicity done for SWEAT 2005 (the benefit dance), the last two days I have been dealing with all kinds of Spring Break stress.

Sunday, (Webster) came home and told me that he had made his final decision: he can't afford to come with us. Now, we booked the cruise about 5 months ago. We booked the hotel about a month ago. I understand completely, and for me the worse part is that my best friend can't come with us on my senior Spring Break bonanza.

At that point I tried to explain that we were now going to have to give away his cruise ticket to someone else who could share the other expenses (essentially meaning Webster has to cough up $425 while someone would get a free cruise). Webster went ballistic. Started accusing me of having coerced him into agreeding to the trip in the first place, that I was now trying to make money off of his misfortune... etc. I tried to talk him down, and essentially reminded him that if he thought I was being hostile, he had no idea what was ahead of him with (Julie) and (Dierdre) the two other girls that were being inconveninced. I talked to both of them, and they were already coming up with a list of demands, some of which I found slightly vindictive.

Well, so yesterday I spent a good portion of my day asking random friends if they wanted to go on the cheapest cruise ever. No bites. Then I took my Theo mid-term, and totally kicked its ass. Yeah! Then, during our work-out, (Webster) actually apologized for going after me. Wow! Amazing. I was totally impressed. We had a good workout.

But then last night, as I am still stressing about the whole thing, and after having cooked an amazing couscous curry with tons of veggies and chicken and sausage, (Julie) called. She had some bad news: her car had been our backup if (Webster) backed out. But yesterday, her parents absolutely forbid her to take it down to Florida. So now we are one person down, without a car, stuck in Milwaukee, having already paid for the cruise. ARRGGHHH!!!!

(Julie) had come up with an alternative trip to Arizona that would simplify things a bit, but we would all lose $200 a piece on the cruise and pay an extra $400 for a plane ticket. This sucks. A lot. While I appreciate that she came up with an alternate plan, I want my cruise. So I thought about the whole thing... A lot... And decided to pay for (Webster's) cruise. It is an extra $425 out of my pocket... But at this point it seems like I would have to pay that to change the trip anyway. This way, we get our cruise, I get to be with ALL my friends, and I get to see my family towards the end of the trip...

I talked to Dad, and he seems to think this would be okay IF I got the other two to put in like $100 as some sort of car-rental fee. I agree with his logic, but here is my problem: I think that they would resent it. There is little I could do about that, and I want to balance my desire for everyone to get along with the money thing. If I pay for (Webster's) ticket, I would never mention it again. Ever. It is an anonymous gift to ALL of us. I would tell the girls that he changed his mind... But if the girls paid in, I feel like I can't trust them not to bring it up on the trip somewhere, and I know Webster's ego enough to know that this would spoil a lot of fun.

So... Am I being an idiot in playing into the hand of a friend who is horrible at managing his money, incentivising so to speak, his mis-spendings? Am I grasping at straws trying to keep this Spring Break together? Or am I trying to be a good friend who sees the utility behind keeping things together and getting a car out of the deal? I'll just have to find out.

No comments: