Friday, June 09, 2006

Nobody Knows Im Gay...

Its rather interesting. Right now I am in this office, and feeling very comfortable with the people around me learning to like me for who I am and for the work I do and the cookies I brought into the office today (yes Im serious). But I have yet to “come out” to anyone here yet. It is not an awkward thing, in fact quite the opposite. Everyone here uses gender-neutral language for the most part (partner, significant other etc.) and our managing attorney is promoting Pride events later this month. I have no doubt that if I told people I was gay that they would accept me, but I largely feel that there is no reason I need to tell them.

While the other clerks that work around me are a good group and we are slowly starting to get to know things about each other, I would prefer that they get to know my style, devoted work ethic and sense of humor before they know who I date. It just shouldn’t be an issue in a workplace like ours, and it isn’t. Which is wonderful.

So now that I have written all of that, it is almost harder to answer the next question: when do I come out to these people as I get to know them? There are often scenarios when I come out to prove a point or to rectify some behavior I find offensive or something. Now that I don’t “need” to come out, it is a question of when I “want” to… Not something that I am often presented with. I may end up saying something at Happy Hour tonight to a few of them, then again, maybe not. Its kinda nice though that it is completely my call.

2 comments:

Mikey said...

Oh Christian, they knew when you brought the cookies.

Christian said...

eat me... it was my day to bring treats. "Who wants some num-nums? Ive made snacks..."