Saturday, June 03, 2006

This is why I dont buy organic...

Well... Havent written in a bit. Ive been busy either doing nothing (pre-job) or busy being really really busy (post-job). The grades for this last semester are coming out, and so far they are a bit lower than I hoped, but right where I expected. If that makes any sense. I just need to wait till the other half of the grades post, cause those were the classes I felt decent about. Whatever, I passed.

And moving on, I have started my job clerking for the Public Defender's office. The more I learn about the place, the more I love it. I went out drinking with a few of the clerks last night and a very shot-happy lawyer in the office who I am working for. We had a blast. They were all very fun, very open-minded, very effusive people. I feel really good about this job and really good about the work I will be doing. After a couple days of very... comprehensive orientation meetings, we now have our days to ourselves to get our work done. I was one of the few that got three assignments at the get go, one due yesterday, another due Monday. These are really fast deadlines (most clerks havent had anything due yet). But I loved it, got them both done, and they look good. Next up is a big assignment from the big boss (the Chief). That should keep me busy all of next week.

But for the first time in my life, I have a desk that is mine, a phone that is mine, a government email, security passes to government buildings... there's a certain sense of importance that goes with those things. I also have to get up in the morning at about 6 to get to work on time. The office atmosphere is great: I can take lunch when I want, wander out of the building for whatever reason (as long as I sign out), wear what I want (for the most part) ... And my bosses are freakin cool so far. It's an extremely supportive atmosphere.

The other cool thing is that Ive been told pretty verbatim how secure my future is if I like what I am doing. I can continue in the fall (and then get to go to a fun weekend conference!) I will automatically get a spot for the next summer, and then pretty assuredly get offered a spot as a lawyer when I graduate. Hmmm... interesting to have that in front of me. And wonderful enough: none of it is dependent on grades!

Other than that, I am just getting into the routine of work, waiting for that first pay check, and trying to get through the book I am editing for my Professor.

Oh, and before I forget, I was very proud of myself for walking over to the organic grocery store that is nearby to buy food, as I was totally out. Not something I will do again I think... I realized how much I love crappy food, with pesticides and poor social policies. They had almost nothing I really needed, and what they had was uber-expensive (because of the quality, yada yada yada). Then I got home and tried to cook up some corn, and 2/3 of it had little catapillars on it. Ewww! This is why I like pesticides: it kills the pests, so I dont have to see them. Enough of that.

1 comment:

Ross said...

Organic is always a strange dance! You never know if you are going to get more flavor than you have ever tasted before, or little bugs.