Tuesday, June 20, 2006

What I want to Do, What I'm told to do, What I should do...

So Im looking toward next year. Perhaps I am putting the cart before the horse, but I applied to the Law Review, and have been thinking a lot lately about whether or not I want to do it. This job is phenominal about getting me into contact with people who can give me perspective on some of these things.

Everyone at law school (professors, students, mentors, janitors...) pretty much mandate that you should do Law Journal if you are good enough, do On Campus Interviewing if you are strong enough... I have never been on eto do things jsut because people have expected it of me. If it is a good idea, if it will help me to succeed with my dreams, if it will make me happy then it is worth doing. If not, then screw it, Im not going to (take that class) (play that sport) (jump off that bridge).

I want to help people. I want to open my own adoption agency. I never feel like clerking. I never never want to work in a law firm as an underling associate. What is going to help me in my endeavors will be getting as much volunteer experience as possible. Showing a dedication and drive to work in the public sector. Making connections in the legal public-service world. None of those things require working for the Law Review.

It turns out that my goals may be very different from those that are giving me advice. I have never been one to do something just to put it on my resume, and I dont think that I am going to start now.

1 comment:

law monkey said...

hah! you sound like me! it's taken me 2 years of law school to finally come to that conclusion: that i want my clients to be real people, not a name on a letterhead.

i just finished a good book a few weeks ago, and have been recommending it to others: "broken contract," by richard kahlenberg. it's his take on 3 years at harvard law (plus an epilogue, whoo!) and it's all about his internal conflict about whether to work for a firm or do public interest/policy. it's a good read, and humorous.

check it out. i think you'll like it. :D

LM