Sunday, November 27, 2005

Clearing the resumé

Home again.

The weekend was nice. It was a good break, and it was amazing to see my grandfather and Mae-Mae. It was quite an experience to fly in for two days in the thick of his treatments to see him in his condition and then fly right back out again. He is such an amazing and intellectually daunting man normally, and I feel like everything just took so much more energy for him this visit. Thanksgiving was wonderful with our little family and the two young cousins. I suppose there is a certain point where I feel dreadfully disjointed from everything going on with Benjamin, who has downes syndrom and then Grandpa's worsening condition. And yet, the holiday was very cheery, very much my family. Carey, Dad and I had some wonderful laughs, and I had some touching moments with Grandma. Grandpa was hard to connect to, but that has always been the case.

At one point, Aunt Lisé asked me what happened with (Mitchell). I was sincerely hoping to avoid that. She asked out of kindness, but YUCK! His roommate called to connect this weekend too... While I would have loved to see him, the wrenching questions I have about what HE is up to, and who HE is seeing, and whether HE is happy... Not good ground to tread on at the moment. God! How am I still strung up on this?

Anyway, I am back now. Worked last night to sheer exhaustion, but rather enjoyed the shift. But damn if I dont have to deal with some queeny bitches. YES, you need to have an ID. YES, you need to pay your tab. YES, you have to wait like everyone else during our rush to get your appletini (If I didnt shake a hundred appletinis last night...) We had a new barback last night. We'll see if he'll last. They do WAY more work than we do, that's for sure. Cute little straight guy who kept getting in all of our way. The cuteness will wear off, then he'll just be in our way. I hope they dont take Jason off of my shift. He is hands-down the hardest worker there and often the only person who keeps me sane.

Today I tried to get some of the random stuff out of the way. I am so mentally gone on Sunday's after a shift, so I just got myself prepared for the week and called it good. I am starting to look through some of the materials to get summer clerkships and something struck me. The resumé that I am supposed to include isnt supposed to have much information about my undergraduate activities. The models only list previous jobs, and those are mostly legal jobs. I have a ton of jobs, if these places want to see where I have bartended!

I spent so much time in undergraduate accomplishing things and being the rock-star everyone has come to appreciate. Now I am at this new school, and I have to re-establish myself (for better or worse) from a practically blank resumé.

I know how invaluable my past experiences have been, but how do I get that onto paper?

No comments: