Wednesday, November 23, 2005

I respect your "differently-abledness" you F*in gimp!

Good couple of days, although a ton of classes. I am very ready for the next two days off, and am very excited to see the fam. Nice.

Yesterday we had a bake sale. I had made blueberry muffins, peanut-butter cookies and jello. Yes, J-E-L-L-O. It was a fun variation on the norm. Shortly after I started staffing the table, one of the more (most) conservative professors came back and complimented my muffins. She had bought the whole lot for one of her classes. This is a prof who has written very vehemently against gay marriage so when she walked away, I commented to some friends, "Gee, Its a good thing I put all that 'Gay-Powder' in there... She'll be a bull-dyke by noon." Fun stuff.

Later that day we were starting our Lawyering Skills class. We have yet to receive our graded memo back, and we have a major brief due next week. I raised my hand to ask a very legitimate question but unfortunately said, "In writing our memo should we..." The prof, who is known to be a bit harsh and frigid, cut in, "I certainly hope you are not still working on your memo, Mr. Eichenlaub," as I had mispoke myself. I retorted, "I'm sorry, I must just be distracted because we havent received our graded memo yet." The class gasped... She paused, glared, then said, "Nice dig Mr. Eichenlaub." Then she proceeded to push back our assignment due date. The class was both shocked and pleased with the whole interaction. I had taken on the prof, and come out better for it. Sweet.

Yesterday I also wrote an email which has gotten some debate going. There have been some recent incidents at UST undergraduate showing homophobia and recent statistics show that students are not learning to respect sexual orientation as part of diversity. Our group here at the law school is concerned. I wrote an email suggesting that our group write a press release/internal memo cautioning our admissions office against admitting UST undergrad students as they might not be likely to understand or respect the Law School's commitment to diversity.... Essentially issuing a a shot across the deck of administrators that could catch some press attention. The stance is both strong and controversial, and the reaction to the idea has already been interesting.

Finally, I have been thinking about gay sex education a lot lately. It is an issue that the "gay agenda" has left largely untouched. There are almost no education programs in this country that are willing to touch gay-sex with a ten foot pole. And yet, as scientific institutions, these programs should recognize that the need exists. In my personal case, I took sex ed like everyone else, and when I came out my father talked to me about making sure to protect myself with condoms. But I had sex for two years before I discovered lubricant. While this might be a small matter, it is an important one. Not only for reasons of discomfort and bleeding, condoms are much more prone to rip when used without lubricant. Now, after working with the AIDS Resource Center for many years, I understand this importance. But I was with a boyfriend who was 23 and he didnt know about it either, so apparently I wasnt the only one who missed this message.

I am trying to think of other sexual issues that might pertain to LGBT youth. Any other ideas?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey. I agree with your assessment of a lack of sexual health issues on the "gay agenda." Most gay advocacy groups don't touch it with a 10-foot pole, and I think they're scared of being associated with sex. They've adopted the 'family' rhetoric. That said, we've got a great sexual health program for gay men called PrideAlive. We're constantly getting into trouble for actually talking about sex.

Also, I found your blog through friendster and I run a Minnesota Queer Blogs list. If you'd like to be added, just let me know!