Saturday, November 19, 2005

Tour Guide Extraordinaire

Yesterday was a long, but fun, day. We had double torts in the morning which, while it sounds painful, is not extruciating. If I have to sit in any class for twice as long as normal, torts would be my choice. And the longer we sat there, the punchier the class got. At one point we were talking about a drug, DES, which had harmed children some 20 years after their mothers had taken it while pregnant. The normal statute of limitations had run, but congress had passed a special extension for this drug. Our prof asked, "Who do you think was pushing for this extension in Congress?" The obvious answer was "trial laywers," but then someone said, "Democrats," in a rather disdainful voice. I immediately retorted loudly, "Sure, because Republicans hate women." Nice. Got a rather good reaction from the class.

Later, our civil procedure prof was talking about impossible scenarios when a judge shouldnt put an issue in front of a jury. "For instance, if my wife claimed that a fairy stole her wedding ring and was claiming insurance. This scenario should never be put in front of a jury, because clearly, fairies dont exist." I interrupt, "Prof. Sisk, you just killed a fairy!" It took a minute for him to get the Peter Pan reference, the whole class laughed, and then he proceeded to clap his hands and try to fly Peter Pan style... The whole visual made it worth going to class that morning.

After class I grabbed yet another free lunch and went to a discussion about how to become a clerk for the public defender's office in Hennepin County. Certainly sounds like a good option. Would open some doors. I already know that I dont want to go into criminal, but it would flex those muscles a bit, which would be healthy. It's interesting though, my only experience with Public Defenders up to this point was negative: when the PD in Milwaukee accused me of having incited the attack against me because I was using racial slurs. (she also had pulled me out into the hall and told me (the victim) that I was needlessly ruining her clients life) <--I now realize that both events were misconduct on her part.

Nevertheless, I do plan on applying. The app is due n about two weeks. Geeee. Fun. Cause I dont have anything else to do. Phhhh!

After that I hung out with two classmates, pretending to study for a while before we went and led tours and sat on an admissions panel. Dear God, how I miss that! I am SOOO good with those things (if I do say so myself). The Dean came in at one point and was listening in, and he came up to me afterward and said he was extremely impressed. This certainly seems to be a talent. Perhaps it will also encourage him to see me as an asset to be respected. But it was a blast.

Finally, took the lightrail to meet up with Christina and go see the latest Harry Potter at the IMAX... It was a bit of effort to catch it there, as it was quite the commute, but it was totally worth it. The screen was enormous! Anyway, the movie was totally fulfilling, and I had a blast. Christina has been sick, but she was a trooper anyway. Good times, great movie.

So what a fun day! I go back to work today, and certainly hoep that I enjoy my shift, because otherwise it might be my last. Wish me luck.

No comments: