Sunday, October 30, 2005

Getting down to it

A rainy sunday. I have been working my ass off the last two nights, starting to realize that 12 hour shifts on your feet can be a bit draining. Today I have to get my legal writing memo done, and I am now at the point that I jsut need to get it started (I just realized that I gained an hour with daylight savings time... NICE!)

Friday night I worked with Blake, who always seemed very distant and territorial, and Max, who I was warned would hate me because I am didnt work my way up into the position. Turns out that I got along fantastically with both of them. I think they just needed to see that I am decent at my job and a nice person, because both of them are two. I think they feared that I was a pretty-boy hire who wouldnt be able to pull his weight and had nothing to offer other than my looks (there are a couple of examples of this at the bar). Anyway, I got my ass handed to me while I was alone on the floor during happy hour, and Blake came on and reassured me that it wasnt my fault. I truly had felt like quiting. Well, things looked better and better as the night progressed, and I ended up walking out of there with close to $300. Sweet!

Last night I ended up putting on full skeleton makeup, a very interesting ordeal, but it looked awesome and I got many kudos, including from my boss who was pleased that I went all-out. The bar had a special promotion which blew because there was confusion about what people were supposed to be getting and nobody tipped on the free drinks that they did get. I ended up getting cut early, which was fantastic, and after hanging out on the other side of the bar and realizing that I have no gay friends to hang out with, I went with my new manager to the Saloon, where I just kinda chilled till I went home.

At this point, I feel a tad lonely, having not seen my friends in a few days, and knowing that I still have yet to find a group of gays. I see these groups at my bar and it makes me want to just go, "Can I be your friend?" in a sad, pathetic manner. I think back on all the friend groups I have been a part of in Michigan and Milwaukee, and I realize that it is only a matter of time, but I miss them all.

Two notes:
1) I had gotten up the courage to ask one of the administrators at my university out for dinner. Yep. Catholic University, administrator. Probably not the smartest idea, especially since I wasnt 100% sure he is gay. He seemed shocked and said, "I would have to say no."

I saw him out last night. At least I know my gaydar is working.

2) To the "pretty" girls who think that they deserve more than everyone else, I will tell you just what I told the bitchy ones on Friday who were a tad demanding: "The boobs odnt do anything for me, and I pour the same for everyone. Get over it." And if you think promising to tip me big makes you better than everyone else, you should probably realize how cheap you just made the entire transaction and how much LESS likely you are to get what you want thinking that I am a prostitute.

No comments: