Tuesday, April 05, 2005

fug nutin computer

Last night while I was trying to write my book critique, my laptop froze no less than four times. It was about 5pm, and I just got really really frusterated. I called my father and informed him that I am buying a new computer. I just cant deal with this anymore, and I am going to need something far more stable during law school. Part of me feels like I am being a spoiled brat by buying a new one rather than trying to forge ahead with my current system... But on the other hand, I have been forging ahead with this computer since I got back from Spain. It no longer plays DVDs, I only have about 1/3 of the hard drive to work with, it is heavy, and most importantly, it often freezes in MS Word. I just have this vision in my head of my computer stopping during a vital section of notes in class next year. I cant have that happening.

Anyway, I am not willing to wait any longer, so I am paying an extra $100 or so to pick up my new system from BestBuy today. If it wasnt in friggin Brown Deer Id take the bus out right now... Last night Will and I went out to Bluemound to take a look at laptops at BestBuy and CompUSA. I was sold on one unit at BestBuy, then they come back and tell me that they no longer carry it. Grrr... Then why did you just spend 20 minutes selling it to me??? Then I chose another system, which was comprable of a bit more expensive (bait and switch much?) and it turns out that they didnt have that one at the store either!!! WHAT?!? Oh well, I exercised some patience, went and got chicken with Will at the Boston Market, and went comparison shopping online.

Caffrey's last night was kinda lame because it was packed with non-monday-regulars to see the final four game. I couldn't have cared less about the game, and they were also out of Spotted Cow. Hmmm... At least Hilary (bartender) bought my first beer, which I fervently protested. She is so cute. It is so fun to be on the other side of a good-bartender rapport. I guess it makes me feel good about the job I do, and want to keep doing it well.

Anyway, I got my book critique done this morning. Its major fluff, since I didnt read the book all the way through. It will get me a B. Good enough at this point. Tomorrow is my presentation for Theology at Nativity Jesuit middle school about how to "Be a Man" in regards to repecting women and relationships. And all of a sudden I am having some cognitive dissonance about the whole thing: I am going to be talking to these guys about dating women, essentially contributing to the heterosexist socialization of these kids. I know it is a Catholic middle school and that to bring up same-sex relationships would divert from our topic drastically, but I cant help but think that in a room of 20 boys, two of them may turn out gay. How can I talk to the other 18 without passively participating in the normative pressure on those two?

I know I should just drop it, and I am not planning on saying anything tomorrow, but that doesnt mean it doesnt bug me. These are latino kids on top of that... Looking back at my latin american experience, I wish someone would have had the guts to talk to the kids at my catholic school.

Oh, I almost forgot. Dr. Schneider from back home, a neighbor from down the block, died unexpectedly at age 43. She left behind her husband and their sweet 9 year old son. I just feel awful. Dad is spending the week with the husband. That is one thing about our experience: it uniquely qualifies us to help others in the same situation. My Dad is such a good man. It is funny, I used to get really sore about people comparing us. Now I just pray that I can be as good a soul and partner and father as he is. And if death teaches us anything, it is the value of living.

No comments: