Monday, April 04, 2005

monday morning

Now that I have gone through the weekend and have gotten NOTHING done that I needed to, I guess that will add some element of challenge to the week. I just dont care anymore. I have two critiques due, a spanish composition, a presentation to an 8th grade class of boys about "How to be a man," and I just dont care about any of it. Hmmm. My focus has serisouly been on working out and drinking, and since the two cancel themselves out, if I didnt watch the Sopranos with (Webster) at the end of the night, my day would be a wash.

Made some awesome chicken and veggies last night. High protein, high veggies, low carbs... Smothered chicken. Good stuff. And of course, I have leftovers... Yeah.

I made plans with (Bart) for dinner on Wednesday. I guess that will have to bump my date night with Justine. Ahh well... I ended up going to the Metro with Christina for brunch. Funny enough, I saw this one guy I had chatted with online ( I had forgotten that he said he worked there). Brunch was ehhh decent, I am not gong to rate it particularly well. They get "taste" points and a little creativity, but the portions were miniscule and the prices a bit inflated. Meanwhile, I totally enjoyed Christina's company. This was like one of the first times she and I have hung out one-on-one, and I definitely had fun. I wanted to pick her brain about the Senior Speech too. She is a terrific anectdotal writer, which I am not as much, and she has this "Sex and the City" style to her stuff that I just needed to lean on for the moment.

The speech needs to be based on one common experience. So here are my thoughts: it has to be funny, it cant have sex or alcohol, and it needs be "general." Well no dbooze or sex, that eliminates 2/3 of my funny stories... And my experience here has been anything but general: it has been exceptional. I have lived in Spain, I have participated in 100s of activities, lead service projects... But the average student will not connect to those things. Plus, I somehow want to work in my message of "Voices in the Wilderness" (shhh.... dont tell Tom or Ian).

I told all of this to Christina, and she said the first thing that popped into her head, and it was BRILLIANT!!! I am totally running with it. Now I need to pound it out, which wont take long, and get (Webster) to help me with the wording. I am glad that I keep such good writers around me!

maudlin: adj. Effusively or tearfully sentimental: "displayed an almost maudlin concern for the welfare of animals" (Aldous Huxley).

No comments: